Monday 21 May 2012

Victoria Day Long Weekend

We are enjoying a beautiful Victoria Day long weekend and it is very fitting that Prince Charles and Camilla are in the province.  I didn't go see them however I was too busy doing other things;
The rhubarb is ready...I'm not a huge rhubarb fan but I do love these muffins:

Recipe:
Mixture one: 2.5 cups of flour, 1 tsp baking soda, 1/2 tsp salt, 

1 and 1/4 cups brown sugar

Mixture two: 1/2 cup veg oil, 1 egg, 1 cup sour milk (add 1 tsp of soda to milk to sour), 1 tsp vanilla, 
2 cups chopped rhubarb

Topping: 1 tsp melted butter, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/2 tsp cinnamon

Combine mixture one with mixture two and spoon into well-greased muffin pan.  Mix topping and sprinkle evenly over the 12 muffins.  Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.

We enjoyed all our meals on the porch

The barn restoration continues....putting on shingles is a SLOW process

The south side of the barn was finished in the fall

Our neighbor was doing a bit of bee hive maintenance so we had to go over and check out the bees.


The hot weather meant the return of the blackflies so the screens were put in the veranda....I spent a lot of the weekend out here reading when I should have been doing more yard work.

My yellow magnolia tree is covered with blossoms....I planted it 9 years ago and I wasn't sure how it would survive the winter here but so far, so good.


How was your weekend?

2 comments:

  1. Love, love your barn!
    I should have been doing more yard work here, but sometimes it's nice to just read and enjoy the quiet.
    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your magnolia tree is beautiful. I have never seen a yellow bloom on a magnolia! I love it. My husband is a huge fan of rhubarb. I'm not much of one though, just like you. His grandparents have grown a ton of it on their farm in Iowa. I don't think it would grow so well here in Texas. I love your blog. I've been by a few times. Enjoy your weekend!

    xo,
    nicolle

    ReplyDelete