Friday 21 September 2012

iWant it...but do iNeed it?

A year an a half ago I bought a new cell phone.  With two teenager boys I felt the need to be able to text if I ever wanted to communicate with them again.  When I went to the little phone kiosk in the mall to pick out my new phone the baby(well he might have been slightly older than a baby but barely) who was working there asked me what phone I was using.  When I pulled my 6 year-old flip phone out of my purse, he gasped.  I was quite proud of the fact that I was still using the first cell phone I bought...you know not filling the landfill with used electronics etc.  The phone kiosk boy thought it was "quaint".  

So now I feel the need to get a smart phone...and I bought a Bose ipod dock at Costco about 6 months ago when our 27 year-old stereo died.  Now I'm thinking instead of buying an ipod I should just get an iphone and it would do double duty as phone and ipod.  

But...

Good Lord those things are expensive.  I just can't quite bring myself to pay that much money for something that I don't really "need".  


And then in 6 months time they'll change it again...and try to convince me I need the latest and greatest.  It's a vicious cycle.  But I feel the need for Instagram....I need  apps....I want Siri to talk to me...I guess the ads are working.  Thoughts??

No comments:

Post a Comment